What bugs me about new fans...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Kincaid Nau on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 am

Okay, this going to sound like a total dick but this just happened this morning and its bugging the hell out me. I'm the office and went about my morning rounds and I come across one the student workers. She's the only other so called "anime fan" in the office I could discuss anime or other stuff that's related to it. Our talks jumped from PMX to what shows were watching. I then started to talk about the older stuff I used to watch like Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. She then gave me a blank look. I then had a sense of dread. I then asked, "Have you seen any of these shows like Ranma, Maison, Uresei Yatsura, Bubblegum Crisis or El Hazard?" I held back on the mech shows because she has a disdain for them. She then gave me a "What are those shows?" I swear I wanted to take a folding chair and slam it on her head. Although none of those shows are perfect, they need to be seen just because they're gateway shows. I may sound like an cranky old man, but this is what bugs me about newer fans. Never seen the older stuff so they believe the newer shows are the end all be all. Before you can call yourself an fan of these medium, you probably need to have some of these shows in the notches of your belt. I'm not trying to say that all the newer fans are like this but it just bugs the hell out of me when they think the newer shows are the best thing since sliced bread and have no knowledge of where these genres, tropes and character types came from. I have no problem with the snarky "your old!" attitude but please, at least show some substance in the conversation. If you're a car guy, and somebody tells you that the best cars are of the current year and they know nothing about the cars from the older era, that guy's gonna get laughed at least or get they're ass kicked at most.

Sorry for the long-winded rant but it just irked that hell out of me. I normally don't do this kind of stuff but I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys deal with this as well. Once again, sorry and I hoped that I entertained some people due to my complaining. Take it easy folks...
avatar
Kincaid Nau

Posts : 37
Join date : 2009-08-24
Age : 35
Location : Los Angeles, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Agree 100%

Post  Mitsugi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Although none of those shows are perfect, they need to be seen just because they're gateway shows. I may sound like an cranky old man, but this is what bugs me about newer fans. Never seen the older stuff so they believe the newer shows are the end all be all.

Allow me to start by saying that I love each and every one of you guys. I don't know, after the short time we've known each other, who has what tastes or beliefs etc...but I'm not trying to offend anyone, I am simply letting out the bottled annoyance I've been holding for years. Nothing personal. I love you all.

Kincaid I completely understand everything you said. I run an anime club at my college and most of our 20 some members are freshmen. I am 24, meaning I'm a mere 6 years older than most of these people. I had a list of anime to offer to them for voting at the beginning of the year. I had "Future Boy Conan" on the list, Hayao Miyazaki's FIRST anime series, directed in 1978. It's wonderful. It didn't receive any votes. 0. It fell to the likes of Black Lagoon(decent anime).

I don't mind new anime viewers. I realize that not everybody has been watching anime for 15 years and has seen the classics in addition to new stuff. However, people shouldn't try to act all "hard" about their fandom if they don't even know what made Ghibli or Gainax famous, or who freaking Lupin is. "Derrrr what's a Lupin?"

After we finished "Black Lagoon" and "Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales", we were going to select a movie. I asked about Ghibli films, specifically, "Tonari no Totoro", "Grave of the Fireflies"(Greatest anime of all time), and "Kiki's Delivery Service." Not only had literally no one seen any of these classic films, but I was getting very annoying suggestions such as "Evangelion 1.0".People literally complaining because I'm TRYING TO SHOW THEM CLASSICS that NONE OF THEM HAVE SEEN.

If I had it my way, my club would be a dictatorship. When I established that club, my mantra was "to educate student's on anime." I would have been showing anime like "Haibane Renmei", "Now and Then Here and There", and "Princess Mononoke" and I would be discussing the SYMBOLISM of these anime and the CULTURAL IMPLICATIONS of others like GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. Except...nobody would give a crap. They just want to watch Bleach and forget all about the fact that anime used to have substance and importance culturally. I know this to be true, because they told me so.

Thank you Kincaid. You and I are now allies in this anime struggle.
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 32
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:40 pm

I do agree with you, i may be only 22, but i have seen so many newer anime fans, go WTF is this? this look old and it looks so gridy, or something, Now of days it's all about Narturo and all, i never liked Narturo, However i still like alot of the new stuff.

Out of that list you posted i only seen bubblegum Crsis, but atlest i know the other ones, always wanted to watch Rama 1/2.

I love watching the older shows that started anime, a Few i name off my head i love are ones like Voltron, Madcross, Sailor Moon (which pretty much started the whole Magic girl animes), and many others i can't think off hand.

i have gone up to people and asked them have you ever watch Madcross, and they go what is that? Robot tech... and they go "oh that anime on cartoon network" it's sad but funny how the newer anime people will ref back to Cartoon network, or WB18 or any TV Channels. My friend joined a online anime club and after a month he quit he couldn't stand them any longer. 90% of the club would only watch newer things, and they would say anime is better dub then sub how they want to watch the anime not read it.

Me i will never dislike a anime untill i watched it. then i can said i either like or not. Really it would be nice if they knew the classics still.
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Mitsugi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Allow me to clarify as well. It's not the new anime fans willing to watch the classics I despise. It's the new fans who WILL NOT watch classics due to their aged look or subject matter, and then say new stuff is the greatest.
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 32
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Allow me to contribute... I myself am a little skeptical when it comes to classical anime. I think I am fortunate enough in where to look for when watching classic anime. Yes I did start with Naruto but I have a ranged mindset when it comes to anime. People call themselves anime fans when all they watch is the generic shounen shows such as Bleach, One Piece, Naruto ( ahh the great shounen trio that bothers the hardcore). I don't know where I am going with but all I know is that from my experience I just watch a broad range of anime such as Full metal alchemist, Gundam Seed, Elfen Lied, Chrono Crusade, sure these might be the anime of the 2000's but when it comes to classic anime I am a little skeptical in watching it. Sure I still watch it but maybe because I have only put 5 years into this hobby of mines and still become skeptical about it. What I am getting here is because I am well... spoiled the new generation is spoiled with the already remastered versions of the old series and now most animes now come with a HD standard. People don't watch an anime just because it's too old. Again guys I hope this post doesn't confuse anyone because I am going multiple points and having trouble putting all together in one post.
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 26
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:38 pm

bakuhasu wrote:Allow me to contribute... I myself am a little skeptical when it comes to classical anime. I think I am fortunate enough in where to look for when watching classic anime. Yes I did start with Naruto but I have a ranged mindset when it comes to anime. People call themselves anime fans when all they watch is the generic shounen shows such as Bleach, One Piece, Naruto ( ahh the great shounen trio that bothers the hardcore). I don't know where I am going with but all I know is that from my experience I just watch a broad range of anime such as Full metal alchemist, Gundam Seed, Elfen Lied, Chrono Crusade, sure these might be the anime of the 2000's but when it comes to classic anime I am a little skeptical in watching it. Sure I still watch it but maybe because I have only put 5 years into this hobby of mines and still become skeptical about it. What I am getting here is because I am well... spoiled the new generation is spoiled with the already remastered versions of the old series and now most animes now come with a HD standard. People don't watch an anime just because it's too old. Again guys I hope this post doesn't confuse anyone because I am going multiple points and having trouble putting all together in one post.

i get what you mean. however one thing i do wanna point out from what you said, One Piece, Yeah it is a newer anime, and it is a mainstream over here. However One Piece over n Japan is really big last i heard about it. One Piece imo is one of the new redeemable animes for the most part. and Really how many times has 4Kids chop up anime? look at Shaman King, freaking awesome anime in Japan, 4Kids got it and it went to hell, the first ep over in america i was told was the first 10 eps chop down into 1 ep.

Alot of good anime that comes over here we screw with them to much. They need up a failed anime, but alot of Newer fans don't see this and don't think other wise, alot of newer anime fans will only watch the Dub and that it, and they will never really exp the true forum of the anime.

With all the remasters of older animes, yeah they are nice, but it take the feel out of alot of them, the ones who has watched the anime then they watch the remasters you don't get the same feeling anymore.

Sailor Moon, Has been one of my all time fav animes, I have loved it since i was 7 or 8 years old, it was a part of my life when Growing up. Many other sailor moon fans will agree with me on this, If they did remaster the anime it won't be the same, even if you try to keep the same dubing, or sub titles, it still wouldn't be the same, and when Sailor Moon her self in sailor moon S got a new voice actor in the dub version it was hard to even get use to that, and the feel of Sailor Moon drop a little to the fan. I wouldn't mind seeing a remaster of Sailor Moon, But sailor moon well... has pretty ending about 3 years ago, they stop doing things for the once highly pop anime.

If a person who isn't willing give an older anime a try just becuase of it's look or whatever, They can not be really considered a true anime fan, if they watch the remasters of an older series or whatever atlest they are willing to watch it.

Not saying this to you Baku, i am just stating in General,

Also one thing everyone will have to agree on, Anime yes has been pop for god many many years. but it wasn't untill about 5 years ago when the peak of anime went world wide, anime has been more of a underground hobby out side of Japan, it always has fans, and it was widely advertised all over the world. However anime is now for everyone, before that not many animes was for everyone, right now you can take a old like world war 2 vet into an anime store that has no idea about any thing, you tell him you will buy him a anime for him to watch for free, he will be able to find one that fits his style of things. same with the newer fans and the younger fans too. Anime is now more Stable across the world.


and i talk to much btw...
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Kincaid Nau on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels this way. Its not even about watching the older shows. Its about not even being aware of them. I know that there is a lot of them to watch and it could be a staggering endeavor, but at the very least know of their existence and where they fall in within this hobby of ours. If somebody's gonna talk about where tsundere came from, you better have Akane Tendo somewhere in your list.

Just like what my bro Mitsugi said, its the unwillingness to watch or know about such shows. It seems like anything before 1999 is way too old to watch. They look "dated" is the most widely used excuse. These are solid shows that have great stories, great characters and great development. If one cannot get passed the older aesthetics, then there's something wrong there.

A follow up complaint. Why do the newer fans do not follow what's going on with the industry. Again, I was talking to the same girl but I had discussions with other folks about this. When I told the that Geneon folded, they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Seriously, if this is your hobby and you don't know anything about what's going on with the companies supplying your hobby, then I don't know what to say. Its always like this. There's a good chunk of fans out there that don't know what the state of the industry is. Again with the car guy comparison. If you're a car guy and you didn't know that GM asked the government for a hand out, then you're not really a car guy at all.

I don't know, it feels like the new folk don't even care about the media they claim they love. I have had this thought about anime becoming a disposable commodity. Watch the new stuff and toss it away to watch something newer. Its just a sinking feeling. Sure the hobby's become broader and more accessable but that sense of caring has almost vanished.

Its just the "old" anime fan in me. At the very least, please know about what those shows are about. Don't give me that blank "?" face when I we talk about anime in general.
avatar
Kincaid Nau

Posts : 37
Join date : 2009-08-24
Age : 35
Location : Los Angeles, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Kincaid Nau wrote:Thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels this way. Its not even about watching the older shows. Its about not even being aware of them. I know that there is a lot of them to watch and it could be a staggering endeavor, but at the very least know of their existence and where they fall in within this hobby of ours. If somebody's gonna talk about where tsundere came from, you better have Akane Tendo somewhere in your list.

Just like what my bro Mitsugi said, its the unwillingness to watch or know about such shows. It seems like anything before 1999 is way too old to watch. They look "dated" is the most widely used excuse. These are solid shows that have great stories, great characters and great development. If one cannot get passed the older aesthetics, then there's something wrong there.

A follow up complaint. Why do the newer fans do not follow what's going on with the industry. Again, I was talking to the same girl but I had discussions with other folks about this. When I told the that Geneon folded, they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Seriously, if this is your hobby and you don't know anything about what's going on with the companies supplying your hobby, then I don't know what to say. Its always like this. There's a good chunk of fans out there that don't know what the state of the industry is. Again with the car guy comparison. If you're a car guy and you didn't know that GM asked the government for a hand out, then you're not really a car guy at all.

I don't know, it feels like the new folk don't even care about the media they claim they love. I have had this thought about anime becoming a disposable commodity. Watch the new stuff and toss it away to watch something newer. Its just a sinking feeling. Sure the hobby's become broader and more accessable but that sense of caring has almost vanished.

Its just the "old" anime fan in me. At the very least, please know about what those shows are about. Don't give me that blank "?" face when I we talk about anime in general.

yeah i know what you mean, I won't lie, Anime is my 2nd/3rd hobby but i still love it with a passion, my main hobby is a hardcore video gamer/video game collector. 2nd would fall into place as a Card gamer, I own a alot of magic cards and i love playing it. but i would have to say magic and anime are very close to each other for me.

When i found out Sailor Moon stuff was out of print i was like OH MY GOD! so i been tring to buy as much sailor moon items i can find for cheap for i can have since i can no longer get them anywhere really. i still want to own the DVD box Sets.

With older anime with people who grew up with it or just watching it has a sence of passion for those animes we all once knew and loved. with that passion comes a person who loves that anime so much that it's hard to put it down or even give up on it, you will be able to watch 100 times and not get sick of it. Newer people will watch an anime once maybe twice and then put it back on the shelf and never watch it again. They don't have the feels to anime like alot of us do. Now of day Yes anime is a hell of alot bigger now than it was, But back then we had to make due with what we got, and what we got we grew to love, We just starting having the internet in the 90's but there was no real anime web site, torrent or downloads, once we go into 2000's the newer fans and younger kids have it much easier to watch anime than we ever did.

You can go to youtube and find any anime you want pretty much. When we where younger we went to wal-mart or something hoping they had it.

Now kids can go into there schools Library and find a section thats nothing but managa and anime DVD's. With this added plauser to the younger/new anime fans, they lose touch with the feeling that we got from the older animes, and to them if older than 1999 like you guys have said it's not worth there time.

Alot of newer and younger animes fan don't seem to realize how easy they have it to beable to get the anime they want with just a simple click of the mouse.

my 11th grade year in high school our library just got a huge shipment of manga, i mean for starting off they had a good 100+ managas to read and a good 15 compete series of manga. i read most of them my 11th grade and 12th grade year.
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Kincaid Nau on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Elvenbladerogue wrote:
Kincaid Nau wrote:Thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels this way. Its not even about watching the older shows. Its about not even being aware of them. I know that there is a lot of them to watch and it could be a staggering endeavor, but at the very least know of their existence and where they fall in within this hobby of ours. If somebody's gonna talk about where tsundere came from, you better have Akane Tendo somewhere in your list.

Just like what my bro Mitsugi said, its the unwillingness to watch or know about such shows. It seems like anything before 1999 is way too old to watch. They look "dated" is the most widely used excuse. These are solid shows that have great stories, great characters and great development. If one cannot get passed the older aesthetics, then there's something wrong there.

A follow up complaint. Why do the newer fans do not follow what's going on with the industry. Again, I was talking to the same girl but I had discussions with other folks about this. When I told the that Geneon folded, they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Seriously, if this is your hobby and you don't know anything about what's going on with the companies supplying your hobby, then I don't know what to say. Its always like this. There's a good chunk of fans out there that don't know what the state of the industry is. Again with the car guy comparison. If you're a car guy and you didn't know that GM asked the government for a hand out, then you're not really a car guy at all.

I don't know, it feels like the new folk don't even care about the media they claim they love. I have had this thought about anime becoming a disposable commodity. Watch the new stuff and toss it away to watch something newer. Its just a sinking feeling. Sure the hobby's become broader and more accessable but that sense of caring has almost vanished.

Its just the "old" anime fan in me. At the very least, please know about what those shows are about. Don't give me that blank "?" face when I we talk about anime in general.

yeah i know what you mean, I won't lie, Anime is my 2nd/3rd hobby but i still love it with a passion, my main hobby is a hardcore video gamer/video game collector. 2nd would fall into place as a Card gamer, I own a alot of magic cards and i love playing it. but i would have to say magic and anime are very close to each other for me.

When i found out Sailor Moon stuff was out of print i was like OH MY GOD! so i been tring to buy as much sailor moon items i can find for cheap for i can have since i can no longer get them anywhere really. i still want to own the DVD box Sets.

With older anime with people who grew up with it or just watching it has a sence of passion for those animes we all once knew and loved. with that passion comes a person who loves that anime so much that it's hard to put it down or even give up on it, you will be able to watch 100 times and not get sick of it. Newer people will watch an anime once maybe twice and then put it back on the shelf and never watch it again. They don't have the feels to anime like alot of us do. Now of day Yes anime is a hell of alot bigger now than it was, But back then we had to make due with what we got, and what we got we grew to love, We just starting having the internet in the 90's but there was no real anime web site, torrent or downloads, once we go into 2000's the newer fans and younger kids have it much easier to watch anime than we ever did.

You can go to youtube and find any anime you want pretty much. When we where younger we went to wal-mart or something hoping they had it.

Now kids can go into there schools Library and find a section thats nothing but managa and anime DVD's. With this added plauser to the younger/new anime fans, they lose touch with the feeling that we got from the older animes, and to them if older than 1999 like you guys have said it's not worth there time.

Alot of newer and younger animes fan don't seem to realize how easy they have it to beable to get the anime they want with just a simple click of the mouse.

my 11th grade year in high school our library just got a huge shipment of manga, i mean for starting off they had a good 100+ managas to read and a good 15 compete series of manga. i read most of them my 11th grade and 12th grade year.

You're talking to a guy that did it the old fashioned way, copying VHS tapes. You had to know a guy from somewhere that had access to masters and then pay him for the blank tapes. Its almost like trying to get your anime fix from somebody shady. If you do it yourself, multiple vcr's. I don't remember how many vcr's I went through. Flame of Recca, Sailor Stars, Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Gundam Wing and etc. Remember that all these tapes had to be copied in real time too. Those were the good old days. Damn I feel old.

I love all those shows because of all the time and effort I put in them. Although I have all those on dvds now, those were still good times. And yes, I picked up Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R before they went out of print. Can't find S and SuperS anymore. If those shows were as accessable back then, I think that the staying power wouldn't be as strong.

Is it just me or are the newer folk don't want to talk about shows in depth? Character's, motivations, story, montages or anything of that sort. I'm not trying to target the newer, its just certain observations I've seen throught the years. Apologies!
avatar
Kincaid Nau

Posts : 37
Join date : 2009-08-24
Age : 35
Location : Los Angeles, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Mitsugi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Had to move it. I have to at least somewhat be a moderator heh. I might be the nicest moderator ever! I should get a prize! *looks around*

Kincaid, I remember waking up ever 3 hrs in the middle of the night to swap out VHS tapes in my little "pirate cove" as I called it. ROFL. Many good times, then you turn 18 and...well....


I'll say it again, there's a reason why anime today is...well....crap. There are exceptions, Clannad, Higurashi, Hajime no Ippo, Major...but in general its because anime isn't story based anymore. Its ALL character based. I am watching 10 anime from the fall season for reviewing reasons and I am living the proof. These "Moe blob" anime that are current, like Seitokai to Ichizon, Sacred Blacksmith, Kampfer, they don't have as much story in 13 episodes as Escaflowne had in 3 episodes. People are just supposed to look at how cute the characters are...stare mindlessly, and then go online and order body pillows and PVC figurines of them rofl. That's it. That's all it is.
avatar
Mitsugi

Posts : 473
Join date : 2009-07-23
Age : 32
Location : Orlando, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Mitsugi wrote:Had to move it. I have to at least somewhat be a moderator heh. I might be the nicest moderator ever! I should get a prize! *looks around*

Nicest Yes, don't worry you will get a message from me soon for your prize... once i figure it out... lol
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Have several points to make

Post  bakuhasu on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:09 pm

@ Everyone who posted in this topic yeah I think the new generation (as I already stated) are spoiled when it comes to anime. We have just been pampered with fanservice, a total facelift of animation compared to the last decade. My example will be about the Gundam marathon I am undertaking. I just noticed how spoiled I am when watching a 70's anime ( The Original Mobile Suit Gundam) I would try to stand the animation quality of the show. Even now if I prefer to watch anime that is in the now and made in the 21st century over something that is made like the past few decades. Guys don't get me wrong here I ENJOY anime made in the 80's and 90's (War in the Pocket being one of them). My insight will be eventually they will be at the point where we are,if they are willing to follow anime watching as their hobby. Also they have every right to call themselves an anime fan ( not to offend anyone whos in this discussion) because if they're willing to commit to a hobby and willing to expand it by watching more than one anime they have the right to call themselves whatevertheywant. It's just our views in what is an anime fan will never be what they see...

@Elvenbladerogue on your comment about one piece. I'm not saying Bleach, Naruto, One Piece they're anime of bad quality no... It's just that shounen anime from my perspective tends to just leave people of this narrow impression on anime as a whole. I tend to think that the Shounen Trio tends to just cut people in their impressions as anime as a whole just because the episodes are long. That's just where I am getting at

@ Mitsugi I think really this moe phase of anime coming out now are just unnecessary and unbalanced in so many ways. Compared to the glory in what is 2008's lineup ( Clannad After Story, Gundam 00, Code Geass R2, Macross Frontier, Soul Eater, I think I can name more). I am disappointed with this year's lineup. Not only that new anime viewers will be filtered in just how crappy this year anime has been and not knowing there are better stuff out there. Just a sidepost
thanks Mitsugi for saying that Clannad was an exception ( you know why and hope to have a discussion with you on that anime on skype!!) and as a moderator you have done alot of hard work for this forum and podcast so have a stick of dango!!!(If you got that reference)

Much thanks to Krincid Nau for creating such an engaging discussion in what really bothers core audiences like me and you everyday when it comes to the anime community.
avatar
bakuhasu

Posts : 504
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 26
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Kincaid Nau on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Don't thank me. Thank the girl that put me over the edge and almost body slammed out of campus! Kidding aside. This is what I like about this place. Easy going folks willing to have a healthy discussion. All I wanted is that when I start a conversation about anime, don't give me the WTF look. Lets talk about it in a civilized manner without the snarky attitude and the unwillingness to listen. You know, real substance.
avatar
Kincaid Nau

Posts : 37
Join date : 2009-08-24
Age : 35
Location : Los Angeles, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Leader on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Elvenbladerogue wrote:
my 11th grade year in high school our library just got a huge shipment of manga, i mean for starting off they had a good 100+ managas to read and a good 15 compete series of manga. i read most of them my 11th grade and 12th grade year.
lucky!! My library has 2 manga books and it's megatokyo volume 1 & 3...
avatar
Leader

Posts : 101
Join date : 2009-09-26
Age : 23
Location : Ashburn, VA

View user profile http://rrfdp.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Leader wrote:
Elvenbladerogue wrote:
my 11th grade year in high school our library just got a huge shipment of manga, i mean for starting off they had a good 100+ managas to read and a good 15 compete series of manga. i read most of them my 11th grade and 12th grade year.
lucky!! My library has 2 manga books and it's megatokyo volume 1 & 3...

lol i am on longer in high school i been gone for over 3 years now. so i don't know what they have anymore.
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  FinalFan2009 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:26 pm

hi im 17 and i started with sailor moon and and all them when i was younger and i didnt know what anime was but then i came across the ghibli films and i discovered a gold mine of anime so what im trying to say is that i started watching older anime first and didnt watch any relatively new anime till about a year ago so i agree with what you guys are saying

on another note the same thing is happening with video games cos im also a massive fan of classic games on older consoles and my friends are pretty hardcore gamers and when i try to get them to play the classics theyre all like 'these graphics are crap' and i think ppl care to much for quality of graphics (and im not saying thats a bad thing) but they dont care so much for a good plot anymore that the classics have
avatar
FinalFan2009

Posts : 27
Join date : 2009-10-26
Age : 25
Location : southeast Queensland, Australia

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/statxltd

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:31 pm

FinalFan2009 wrote:hi im 17 and i started with sailor moon and and all them when i was younger and i didnt know what anime was but then i came across the ghibli films and i discovered a gold mine of anime so what im trying to say is that i started watching older anime first and didnt watch any relatively new anime till about a year ago so i agree with what you guys are saying

on another note the same thing is happening with video games cos im also a massive fan of classic games on older consoles and my friends are pretty hardcore gamers and when i try to get them to play the classics theyre all like 'these graphics are crap' and i think ppl care to much for quality of graphics (and im not saying thats a bad thing) but they dont care so much for a good plot anymore that the classics have

Well i am a hardcore gamer myself, anime is pretty much 2nd on my list, but i love anime still.

I am a freelance graphic designer atm, hoping to become a video game designer. I do agree with you alot about alot of poeple will base a game off it's look, and not the game play. I may be a graphic designer, but i rather have game play over stunning graphics.

Graphics all they do for a game is draw the people into it. After if you don't have the game play to back up the graphics, then 9 times out of 10 the game will fail.

I am too a classic gamer, i love the class stuff more than alot of stuff now, Atlest it took skill to play alot of the games back then, and was much harder with like 10 - 20 bosses and not like now, with game having only 1 or 2 bosses.
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  FinalFan2009 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:18 am

thats great cos next year i will be doin a course on game design at college
avatar
FinalFan2009

Posts : 27
Join date : 2009-10-26
Age : 25
Location : southeast Queensland, Australia

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/statxltd

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  elvenbladerogue on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:54 am

FinalFan2009 wrote:thats great cos next year i will be doin a course on game design at college

Thats cool, The way things are going for me, I have to wait till i move out of state next year before i get to do any college, Moving onto a army base with my brother, sister in-law, and nephew.
avatar
elvenbladerogue

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 30
Location : Orlando, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Neokage on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Well, in all honesty as far as new anime fans not watching the old stuff. Firstly, I think that a lot of people who call themselves an anime "fan" aren't necessarily what can be called a "true fan" they just want to relate in the conversation. Often people tell me they're a fan and haven't seen more than Akira and Sailor Moon. The newest fans or as I like to call them, "the Cartoon Network Fans" have seen what's on TV and haven't committed to actually buying or just simply don't know how to/refuse to download the shows. Often, I simply try to gauge what they like and let them borrow a show that I feel fits their taste. If they take off and explore other new genres then so be it. However, I do feel there is a type of fan that gets on my nerves more than anything else and that is the one that learns 5 words of Japanese and inserts them into everyday conversation. "Wow, that's sugoi!", or "What a baka." I never pick on them but I avoid those types like the plague.
avatar
Neokage

Posts : 6
Join date : 2010-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  mannypooh on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:50 am

i think one of the problems is that these types of anime fans who cant stand before 2000 anime is because they have become jaded. There so used to xbox 360 like graphics, HD quality that they turn a blind eye towards anime like the slayers, which is a long running anime, which not as fancy looking like gundam seed. There are others who only like certain character types like Moe or pretty boy characters, it just makes me sad that there are people out there that cant go beyond these things. Sad
avatar
mannypooh

Posts : 15
Join date : 2010-01-25
Age : 35
Location : corpus christi texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yea...

Post  Anarchy on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:16 pm

A cousin of mine (who recently destroyed the mainframe of my CPU) said Dragonball and Naruto are the best animes ever. Later that day when I was talking to someone else about Akira, he came over and said "Akira... that show sucks!" I slapped him in the face.

The other dayI was searching around on Youtube the other day, a kid, who looked about 14 or so, called himself an "anime expert." I sent him a message asking what Ranma 1/2 was. He sent an exact copy of the Wikipedia page.
avatar
Anarchy

Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-10-19
Age : 27
Location : Here, Obviously..

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Mikhail on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Slap in the face =WIN!! And Now go spam that little kid for having the gall to call himself an expert. Mikhail has given you a mission. Do you accept?
avatar
Mikhail

Posts : 119
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 29
Location : New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Anarchy on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Mikhail wrote:Slap in the face =WIN!! And Now go spam that little kid for having the gall to call himself an expert. Mikhail has given you a mission. Do you accept?

Deny a mission from Mikhail, I'm not insane.
avatar
Anarchy

Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-10-19
Age : 27
Location : Here, Obviously..

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Mikhail on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

we are all insane anarchy its when we stop questioning our sanity that we have truely become insane. because by then we have lost our moral compass whether by design or mistake. I think you need to come back to reality and away from the bubble of protection you shroud yourself in. *FACE SLAP* For someone who calls themself Anarchy you are such a debby downer.
avatar
Mikhail

Posts : 119
Join date : 2009-11-02
Age : 29
Location : New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What bugs me about new fans...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum