Kannagi SUCKS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kannagi SUCKS

Post  Mitsugi on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:34 pm

So I think Kannagi is a perfect example of the world being ridiculously stupid.

This is literally one of the dumbest, most pointless animes I have ever watched. This anime gets so much publicity that its ridiculous, yet, it absolutely sucks!

It has no plot to speak of. None.
For the director of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is MUCH better btw, this animes animation and budgeting is pitiful. They spend all of episode 10 in a karaoke room. THATS THE WHOLE EPISODE! Nagi spends all of an episode hiding in a closet cause shes being a child. Jesus! This anime is terrible and the only reason I am finishing it is because I want to give it a low low low score when I review it in the podcast. Good god.

Feel free to refute me. I'd LOVE to see what the "good points" of Kannagi are.
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kannagi SUCKS

Post  Ryani on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Well, I liked episode one, but I enjoy fluff pieces. I'll take you up on that if I still enjoy it once I finish the six up on ANN's stream.
Ryani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hehe

Post  Mitsugi on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Ryani, you'll probably notice that I rant sometimes. One of my pet peeves are extremely popular anime that just have terrible content.

After you finish Kannagi, let's discuss it. Maybe you can provide a positive light to it and I can learn to love it.
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nothing wrong with that.

Post  Ryani on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Ranting's fine - I'm rather predisposed to ranting myself, a lot of the time.

I'd love to discuss Kannagi with you(I see you're reviewing it next week, so I'd better hurry up). Right now I will just point out the impressive animation quality and production values, at least as evident in the first episode. Other than that, I haven't seen enough yet. (But, seriously, the animation. The very first scene, with the kid and the spider? Look at how he moves! And the light! I am seriously a sucker for good animation.)
Ryani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 pm

If you ask me, good animation is like crack.
Chiaki

View user profile http://www.aaapodcast.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryani on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 am

Okay. My impressions after two episodes of Kannagi are this far pretty positive. (Also, minor correction, Mitsugi: The director of Haruhi is Tatsuya Ishihara. The director of Kannagi is Yutaka Yamamoto. He did the opening sequence of Haruhi, as well as episodes one and twelve, but was not the series director. That he had some involvement, though, shows, especially in the opening sequence, which is very Haruhi-esque.

I really am not seeing what you mean about the budgeting and animation. The production values seem rather stellar, and the animation is pretty amazing. It's not the best I've ever seen, but it's total eye candy. Even scenes with character sitting still have a huge level of detail, and typically something will be moving, and you have to keep in mind that it's much cheaper to just to a still pan, and yet Kannagi does not. I haven't seen a single still pan in it at all.

The show is pretty much slice of life, and it has a quietness to it that I really enjoy. Certain characters can be loud, but the show really isn't. Speaking of characters, yeah, Jin and Kannagi are kind of standard, but they are unique enough that they don't feel like major copies, and for a fluffy and fun show like this, they don't really need to be particularly complex. Complex character's don't hurt fluffy fun shows(See Clannad), but they don't have to be necessary. If it were me, I'd give this about a 3.5. It's not the best show ever, but it's not really meant to be anything more than the anime equivalent of a lolipop. It's fun, but it's a little too sweet, and you are definitely going to need something more substantial when you are done.

Granted, this is just my impression right now. Let's see how I feel in a few more episodes.
Ryani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My bad!

Post  Mitsugi on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am

Minor correction, Mitsugi: The director of Haruhi is Tatsuya Ishihara. The director of Kannagi is Yutaka Yamamoto. He did the opening sequence of Haruhi, as well as episodes one and twelve, but was not the series director. That he had some involvement, though, shows, especially in the opening sequence, which is very Haruhi-esque.

Yea sorry for making sweeping statement. Many series use multiple directors to keep things fresh. The Honey and Clover series had multiple directors as well, yet they assign a main "director" just to establish hierarchy I believe. They do it to keep ideas flowing. A episodic series like Kannagi can afford this because it has no plot and just floats mindlessly from one concept to another every episode. They also referred to Yamamoto as the director of Haruhi Suzumiya at the Bandai panel at Otakon 2009 and he took his due credit for this.

The show has scenes later on where they will have a still image on the screen for 2 -3 minutes. This happens several times. I can't speak for the level of detail but I found the animation to be pretty typical.

My main gripe about the show is the story. It pretty much doesn't have one, even for a slice of life. Other SOL animes like Honey and Clover (sorry to use the reference twice) still manage to deliver story while being pointless and frivolous.

I think once the initial infatuation with the color and detail come down, you'll notice that the story is really stupid. I mean later, Nagi spends an entire episode pouting in a closet. Sheesh!

However, I'm glad you're liking it. That's important because if everybody was a grumpy old man like me, Very Happy , then the anime community would be in trouble!

TTYL! Btw, check out the new contest we are starting. It's on the top page and also a section in the forum is dedicated to it.

Last edited by Mitsugi on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hatake on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Mitsugi wrote:My main gripe about the show is the story. It pretty much doesn't have one, even for a slice of life. Other SOL animes like Honey and Clover still manage to deliver story while being pointless and frivolous.

Side note that isn't TOO off-topic: Ah, and I was just about to bring up Honey and Clover, because I've only recently discovered how frivolous and yet wonderful it is.
Hatake

View user profile http://kyotofoxfire.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

H and C

Post  Mitsugi on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Honey and Clover is wonderful. The second Honey and Clover is also excellent and it delivers the same type of emotional impact it half the time.

Yet, for a real emotional impact, go watch Clannad.
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leader on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Ugh... my anime club almost watched this (it's a very small one, read my new post! It's in the random chat area I believe)... But thanks to you guys, i don't have to claw my eyes out!
Leader

View user profile http://rrfdp.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Thanks!

Post  Mitsugi on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Hey Leader Thanks.

Wow. I'm glad to know that my suffering was able to spare even 1 other person from having to suffer through Kannagi rofl.

I'm happy for you! What did you guys end up watching?
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leader on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:50 pm

We tried to watch rave master. I'm going to suggest Clannad next meeting.
Leader

View user profile http://rrfdp.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mitziego on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:33 pm

lol i never heard of kanag. if its that bad ill steer away from it Razz
mitziego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:37 pm

I recommend the Samurai X OVA for a club meeting.

Also, short funny anime like GoldenBoy are PERFECT for club meetings.

Clannad is good, however its 50 episodes long, so you gotta dedicate like all your meetings to it, whereas you could watch all of Goldenboy and Samurai X OVA in like 2 hrs and be BLOWN AWAY. For the record, Samurai X is listed as the #1 top rated anime ever, by a wide margin.
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mitziego on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 pm

just started watching capt tylor so gotta put samurai x on my netflix que Very Happy
mitziego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitsugi on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 pm

Irresponsible Caption Taylor is really good too. That's a good choice my man!
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMagnificentOne on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:05 am

I've been putting off watching the Irresponsible Caption Taylor for at least three years now.
Tell me, on a scale of 1 - 10 where it sits.
TheMagnificentOne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

TheIrresponsibleOne

Post  Mitsugi on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Gee I dunno, I figure it can't be less than an 8/10. Or I guess 4/5. It's definitely a classic though.
Mitsugi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anarchy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Yea... Kannagi is my definition of an "Okay" Anime. I don't love it, but it's at least viewable.
I guess I'll watch Irresponsible Caption Taylor now.

EDIT: Done with episode 1 and it was great. I'll pick up on the rest another time.
Anarchy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top